Monday, April 6, 2009

Classic Tune of the Week 13

My latest trip down memory lane takes me back to October of 1982. That is the month when “You Got Lucky” was released by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. The song was the first single from the album Long After Dark and was an important breakout hit for Petty and his band. “You Got Lucky” peaked at #20 on Billboard’s Hot 100 but reached #1 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart. The song held the #1 position for three weeks at the end of 1982.

I first became familiar with the song through the video, which received heavy rotation on MTV in the early 1980s. The setting for the video was a very Mad Max looking post apocalyptic world. The video had nothing to do with the lyrics of the song but somehow worked. I especially liked the haunting guitar solo featured in the song. When I think back to those many summer days watching MTV in the afternoon, “You Got Lucky” is one of the videos that comes to mind. Check it out below. I hope you enjoy it.

My best…

No comments: