Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Classic Tune of the Week 9


In honor of the holiday season, I will be posting some of my favorite Christmas music over the next couple of weeks. The songs will likely range from pop tunes, to hymns, to traditional classic Christmas songs. This week I have chosen "Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You" by Billy Squier.

This song, to the best of my knowledge, made it's debut on an MTV Christmas special back in 1981. Squier appeared on the show and performed the song with the MTV Chorus singing back up. This "Chorus" was made up of MTV's production crew and on air talent. If you look carefully at the video, you will catch glimpses of original VJs Martha Quinn, J.J. Jackson, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, and Nina Blackwood. The song and video, taken from the Christmas special, continued to get heavy air play for years to come on the radio and MTV respectfully during December.

I've always liked the song. These days, however, I think it is more than the catchy tune that keeps me coming back to this song each year at Christmas time. It takes me back to my early teens when MTV was new and the "M" actually stood for music. This was when everbody under the age of 25 spent hour upon hour watching music videos on this network. It reminds me of a one of the best time periods of my life.

Hit the one of the pictures on the video bar showing people in Santa Hats to see the video. I hope you enjoy it.

My best...

No comments: