Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farrah and Michael Bow Out

What a day. Today both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died. Two icons, one of the 70s and one of the 80s, gone. I can't remember a day where two such well known celebrities passed on the same day. Very strange.

Fawcett, of course, is the Texas girl who made it big. She started by doing toothpaste and shampoo commercials and became a major television star and pin-up legend. Fawcett became almost everybody's favorite supermodel detective as one of the stars of Aaron Spelling's Charlie's Angels (I always thought Jaclyn Smith was the prettiest one myself). Despite becoming, by far, the most famous and popular "Angel", Fawcett's stint on the show lasted only one season. She made a few guest appearances in subsequent seasons but never was a regular again. Perhaps Fawcett will be best remembered for her iconic pin-up poster. The poster was not the least bit risque. Fawcett wore a one -piece bathing suit for Pete's sake. However, it featured her famous smile and feathered haircut that was the "Rachel cut" of it's day. The poster became a sensation selling more than ten million copies. My good friend Henry had that poster in his room. I remember well thinking that while Farrah was never, in my opinion, the prettiest woman on television that, somehow, they caught lightning in a bottle with that poster. There was also something very cool about Farrah and her husband at the time, Lee Majors. Majors was a big television star in his own right at that time as the Six Million Dollar Man. They were Hollywood's television power couple of the 1970s. Fawcett tried for years to get away from her "Angel" image strove to be considered a serious actress. She finally achieved that, to some degree, when she was nominated for an Emmy for her television movie The Burning Bed about an abused woman. Despite a second Emmy nomination later in her career she never completely escaped the shadow of her pin-up/"Angel" days.

Fawcett's death is a sad thing but, somehow, doesn't strike me as tragic. She had problems and difficulties in her life to be sure but died of natural causes at the age of 62. The death and, for that matter, the life of Michael Jackson reads like a Greek tragedy. Jackson became a star at the age of 8 as the lead singer of The Jackson 5. The group exploded out of Gary, Indiana and became a sensation. Jackson would go on to record 13 number one singles and have the best selling solo album of all time with Thriller. His popularity reached a hysterical peak in the mid 80s with the release of Thriller and the subsequent videos that supported it. Jackson, almost single-handedly, made the music video into an art form. I was a huge fan of Michael Jackson back when I was in high school. Two memories really stick out in my mind in regards to Jackson. The first is his performance on the Motown 25 television special. He was simply awesome. I had never seen anything like his performance and the performance has become legend. The second memory is how I got to attend the Jackson's Victory Tour concert at the Houston Astrodome. The tickets were a gift from my parents for my 18th birthday. I was on crutches at the time due to a knee injury I had suffered playing basketball so my parents actually had to drive me and my girlfriend at the time, Susan, to the concert. It was not easy getting around and to our seats but it was well worth it. Jackson's entrance alone would have been worth the price of admission. Jackson was later dogged by accusations of child molestation, tax and financial problems, and the failure to ever make an album as popular as Thriller again. I don't know if Jackson was guilty of child molestation or not. I do believe that where there's smoke there's fire. There was always a lot of "smoke" with Jackson and, I believe, something inappropriate and weird was going on with all of his young male friends. Jackson's story is one of a little boy lost; a man who never got to have a childhood and spent his adult years trying to recapture that time. Seemingly, Jackson was never successful in that quest. With his numerous plastic surgeries, sham marriages, and bizarre behavior he became a caricature of himself. People, unfortunately, will likely remember the tabloid "Jacko" more than the musical genius Michael Jackson. That is Jackson's legacy and that is his tragedy.

Both these pop icons were, in their own way, a large part of my childhood. Now two more small pieces of that childhood are gone. I hope they rest well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike

I was on my way to Graceland in Memphis when I heard the news about both of these 80's icons and strangely enough I thought about you and your love of jackson and for some reason the song "Ben". It appears my son has the same feeling for Elvis.

Cliff