Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Classic Tune of the Week 8


I have chosen “Brilliant Disguise” by Bruce Springsteen for this week’s song.

“Brilliant Disguise” was the first single from the 1987 album “Tunnel of Love”. The song reached position #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #1 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. The song was recorded in Springsteen’s Thrill Hill East home studio. Despite the fact that several members of the E Street Band played on the recording, the song is much more understated than Springsteen’s typical sound.

The song’s lyrics tell the story of a man who suddenly discovers he has become a stranger to his wife. Springsteen covers many emotions including self-doubt, jealousy, anxiety, and confusion. Boiled down, the song is about the masks people wear as they play out their expected roles in life and how disturbing it can be to peek at the secrets that lie behind those masks.

“Brilliant Disguise” is one of my favorite Springsteen songs and, in my opinion, one of his most underrated efforts. While I think lyrically the entire song is terrific, the final line is one of my all time favorites. Springsteen finishes the tune by singing, “God have mercy on a man who doubts what he’s sure of.” Rarely do songwriters, or storytellers of any kind, manage to wrap up their efforts so well.

I really wanted to feature the original MTV video of the song. However, I can't find a version of it posted online that allows it to be embedded. I would highly recommend going to YouTube and watching it. The black and white shots of Springsteen on the video block are what to look for in order to see the original video. You can watch one of the live concert performances featured on the video block. I hope you enjoy it.

My best...

No comments: