Sunday, September 7, 2008

Classic Tune of the Week 5


I've decided to post one of my favorite songs from my college years this week. The song is "18 and Life" by the rock band Skid Row.

Back in the late eighties and early nineties, glam/hair metal was at it's peak. While I must admit to a weakness for this genre, Skid Row, along with Guns n Roses, generally were considered outside the "hair band" mainstream. They were thought of by hard core rock fans to be the real deal.

"18 and Life" was the second single released from the band's self titled 1989 album. It would become the band's biggest hit reaching #4 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart. Many have called the song a power ballad but I would disagree. It has a decidedly raw and heavy edge that made it just as popular with guys as it was with the girls. It is a guitar driven song about a youth who leads a troubled life and ends up in prison for shooting and killing another young man. He is only 18 when he is imprisoned for life, hence the title.

A happy song it is not. However, it takes me back to a time when I had few responsibilities and guitar rock was king. It remains one of my favorites. Hit the video showing the young man in the leather jacket for the original video and radio version of the song. I hope you enjoy it.



My best...

No comments: