Sunday, July 27, 2008

Washington State Trip

Hello, all. I have just returned from a week long trip to Washington State. I had always wanted to visit the Pacific Northwest and when the opportunity presented itself I jumped on it. I, and some friends, camped between Mt. St. Helens and Skookum Meadow. It has to be the most beautiful country I've ever seen (at least in person). Of course, my being a bigfoot geek, it held extra appeal as Skamania County is the number one county in the United States for bigfoot sightings. Alas, despite our best efforts, the big fella failed to make an appearance. However, I did manage to spot several elk, a couple of black tailed deer, a fox, and a black bear. We also saw a whole lot of bear scat, cat scat (bobcat, probably), some very large canine prints, and one set of VERY big cat prints (had to be a cougar). We were surprised to hear barred owls which are common in Texas, as well. According to the locals, the barred owls are supplanting the endangered spotted owls in the region. I was awakened on my last morning by a large bull elk bugling from the valley below our camp site. Pretty cool.

It was a terrific time and hope to return one of these days. I have attached a slide show above made up of some of the pictures I snapped while on the trip. The pictures just do not do justice to the scale and majesty of the area but they are pretty nice and I hope you enjoy them.

My best...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really cool. I really want to go out there to maybe get a glimpse of the creature. Im only 16 though so that doesnt help.

RKor